You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located” when trying to shrink a partition on your disk using the Windows Disk Management tool, there’s an easy fix resize partition windows 10.
I’ve got a 459518GB volume (C: drive) available, with only 30GB used on it. I’d like to shrink this to about more than half the size, but I’m not allowed to shrink it at all (I shrank this previously, 459518GB is apparently the minimum size). There are no shadow copies that I can see and the page file can’t possibly be that big, and I did a defrag.
Fixed: Unable to Shrink C Drive in Windows 10/8/7
Here we have many ways to solve this problem, here I have found two methods to fix this problem.
Method 1: Fix Shrink Volume without Software
Method 2: Fix Shrink volume with AOMEI Partition Assistant
First of all, we will follow to fix shrink volume beyond problem in windows 10 without any software, if the first method doesn’t fix your problem then you have to try the second method, it might be solve your main problem. Ok now if you want to solve this problem then you have to follow this problem.
Method 1: Fix this problem without any software
Step 1: Create Custom View
1. To enable custom view, type “Event View” on the search bar windows and then enter.
2. On “Create Custom View” screen, from the “event level” check all checkboxes and click on “By source” and select the “defrag” and click Ok.
3. Once you click ok button, “Save Filter to Custom View” and then click Ok.
Step 2. Disable Hibernation
1. Open an elevated command prompt by pressing Win+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin). Click yes if UAC pops up. (Here are more ways to open an elevated command prompt in Windows 10 and 8.
2. Type “powercfg/h off”, press enter. You won’t get a success confirmation but you will notice that hiberfil.sys are gone from your OS partition.3. Restart
Note: You can postpone this restart until you have a disabled pagefile and system protection as well, and do a single restart at the end.
Step 3. Disable Paging file
1. To disable pagefile, press win+x and choose “System” from the system, click “Advanced System Setting”.
2. From the Advanced tab, click “Settings”.
3. Click Change under Virtual Memory and uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
3. Click on the partition you are trying to resize and set paging file size to No paging file. ClickSet, then Ok.
4. Restart. You’ll notice that both pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys are now gone from your disk. If you’re still seeing pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys on your partition, try deleting them manually.
Note: You can postpone this restart until you have disabled system protection as well, and do a single restart at the end.
Step 4. Disable System protection in C Drive Temporarily
1. To disable system protection, open control panel > system and security > advanced system properties > system protection.
2. Click on the partition you need to resize, if it has Protection set to on. Click Configure.
3. Select Disable system protection and click Apply.
4. You’ll be prompted with a warning informing you that current restore points will be deleted and future restore points won’t be created. Click Yes.
That’s it. You can now shrink your partition to the desired size. Afterward, make sure to re-enable hibernation, pagefile, and system protection
I had followed four steps at bottom of this article I have solved the problem by the following of the bottom steps. Right now I can shrink the volume to any size.
It was all about how to fix shrink volume beyond problem on windows 10? I hope you get something from this article, and I hope you will be happy. If you have any question or any suggestion feel free to ask in the comment below.
Method 2. Shrink volume with AOMEI Partition Assistant
When you failed to shrink or decrease partition or volume such as system C: drive, don’t worry. Powerful Disk Management alternative software -AOMEI Partition Assistant Free can effectively help you free shrink and decrease C drive in Windows 10/8/7 by simple clicks.
Feel free to download, install and apply this free partition manager software to shrink C drive as an example to fix unable to shrink volume error on Windows PC now:
1. Right click on the partition you are going to shrink and select Resize Partition.
2. In pop-out window, drag the slider leftwards or enter the partition size to get the partition shrunk.
4. At this point, preview the partition layout and click Apply to put the operation in the process if no problem. The program makes no changes to your disk until you click Apply button, so you can easily undo the operations.
That’s it. You can now shrink your partition to the desired size.