I like illustrating characters, icons, and other highly representative illustrations. I do this kind of work the majority of time in Illustrator, so it’s nice to break out and create abstract backgrounds. Abstract backgrounds are easy to create in Illustrator with a couple of simple techniques. Using Gradient Meshes, Steps Blends and Opacity Masks you can quickly create an abstract background.
Create Abstract Backgrounds in Illustrator
This is the technique that I find to produce the quickest results but has great potential for exploration, I will show you in this Illustrator abstract background tutorial three kinds of abstract idea backgrounds. Create an abstract background in Illustrator.
1. First open new document with any size you want, leave, write name of your project in place of name, choose your paper size, and make the number of artboard, how many artboard you want to make, and select from unites.
2. After opening new page, pick the rectangle tool, draw rectangular shape like this, or fit to page, as you wish, and click on mesh tool, click on this places, it means that how many gradient mesh you want make on this shape, click on each mesh points, and make changes.
Select any mesh point, and change the color, and also we can apply gradient, if you want use gradient on background, so apply any gradient which is looking good on the eyes.
Creating cool background in Illustrator, this is best Illustrator tutorial for beginners. In here you can see, I have filled all mesh points with the same color, I have don’t use from gradient, so after applying this all meshes on the shape, then make change the situation like capture below, if the mesh point is lease, well you can make more than this with mesh tool, then fill it all mesh points with one color, or with different colors.
With direct selection tool, select each mesh points, or add mesh point, with gradient mesh, select another parts of meshes point, keep in mind the, fit the mesh points to the page.
You can easily get lost in moving Mesh Points and changing colors in Gradient Meshes. Play around and see what you get! We can get easily Illustrator background patterns, create shiny abstract background, with different tips, this is good to know the process of creative something.
2 Create Abstract Backgrounds in Illustrator
Step Blends. Step Blends are another quick way to create an abstract background, You might have used Gradient Blends previously but maybe not Step Blends, just with simple line possible to create cool BG.
1. Create new layer, or open new page (document), draw rectangle shape like this, fill it with gradient.
2. Pick up the pen tool, draw couple of lines with pen, however, duplicate this line once, or make one more line differently, select both lines, click on blend tool, first hold click on one point of lines, and click on another line point, and you will see three, or more than three lines in here.
Create an abstract background using adobe Illustrator, now select you all lines, or hold ALT click on one point of line, then hold ALT to the point of another line, then you will see this dialog box, change the smooth color to specified steps, and leave how many lines you want create, and after this, duplicate from this lines, once, two wise, or three wise, rotate them with different angle, and select all the lines, bring down the opacity, how amount you want leave for opacity.
3 Create Abstract Backgrounds in Illustrator
1. Opacity Mask. Draw like this shape with your own selected tool, for example I have dragged with pen tool, and after making like shape, go to on Effect > Distort & transform > and click on Transform effect, make sure the preview option is active, in the Transform effect dialog box, Scale (horizontal: 70%, vertical: 70%), Move (horizontal: 18MN, vertical: 9MN) Rotate > angle: 32 degrees, Copies: 5 copies.
2. With the shape still selected, create a Radial Gradient from the Gradient Panel. Keep the swatches of the gradient the default Black and White and take off the stroke if there is one. Next, draw a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool (m) that encompasses the transformed shapes. Take off the stroke, fill it with a color and send the rectangle to the back.
3. Make Opacity Mask. Next, select the rectangle and transformed shapes and select Make Opacity Mask from the pop-up menu of the Transparency Panel. Now you have some abstract art.
You can stop here if you like or you can take it further. Copy (c), Paste In Front (f), scale and rotate the artwork to get some different results. In the example below I created a background with a dark pear gradient, color, changed the abstract to white, copied and scaled, and rotated a copies of the abstract. If you want to further edit the Opacity Mask. You can change the blending mod to Screen.
Combine some of the techniques to get different results. Abstracts are the perfect place to experiment because it is abstract! Bring them into one artboard, and combine them, and see the result, what you have made, and use different trick to create awesome abstract backgrounds In Illustrator. Create Abstract Backgrounds In Illustrator.
1. Transparency, Gradient. After combining all of them, and see how you created, result of combine in one document, draw a rectangular shape fit to page, amount of page, and go to apply like this gradient, or another gradient if you like, go to on Transparency, and make changing like capture below.
That is all about how to Create, make abstract backgrounds in Illustrator, I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial, use from tool to make easiest like these, if you have any questions, so feel free ask me in comment section below, don’t forget your feedback.