Windows Server 2012 introduced a new option for DHCP high availability in DHCP failover,
which creates a partnership between two DHCP servers, enabling them to share the
responsibility for a scope. It is important to understand the distinction between DHCP failover.
Before Configuration DHCP Failover you should install DCHP at the Partner server.
First install DHCP on your Primary Server and do configuration, when you configure your primary server after that, install your DHCP on your partner server. when you install DHCP on your partner Server do not configure on that server, because we want to replicate from one server to partner server. lets first i want to show you how to install DHCP on the partner server.
Install DHCP from Server rule.
To install DHCP follow these steps:
1. In server manager, from the manage menu, select Add Rules and Features The Add
Roles And Features Wizard starts, displaying the Before You Begin page. click next.
2. On the “Select installation type” page, Select your installation type, We have there tow type if installation the one is Role-based or Feature-based installation and the next one is Remote Desktop Services installation. in here you must Select Role-Based or Features-based installation and then click next.
3. On the “Select Destination Server” page, there is tow Destination, the one is Select a server from the server pool and the next one is Select a Virtual hard disk . you should select “Select a Server from the server Pool” then click next.
4. On the “Server Rule” page, Select DHCP Server on the Add Rule and Feature Wizard click on Add Features, and then click next button.
5. On the “Features” page, click next.
6. On the “Confirmation installation Selection” page, To the install the following rule, rule services on select server, click install.
7. When Installation is finished, click on Complete DHCP Configuration.
8. On the “Description” page, click next .
9. On the “Authorization” page, Specify the credentials to be used to authorize This DHCP Server.use the following user , click next.
10. On the “Summary” page, click Close button.
installing DHCP is finished.
Now come to your Primary Server To Configure DHCP Failover.
Configuration DHCP Failover.
1. in server manager, from the Tools menu, click on DHCP Server.
2. On the “DHCP” page, at top of DHCP Right click on DHCP, Click on Add Server .
3. On the “add Server” Select a server you want to add to your console. then click ok button.
4. When you Add your Partner Server, first you need to configure Failover this two server. if you wan to Failover Right click on your primary server, click on Configure Failover.
5. On the “Configure Failover” page, Show you Introduction of DHCP Failover , click next button.
6. On the “Specify the Partner Server To use For Failover” page, Provide the Host name or IP address of the Partner DHCP Server with which Failover Should be Configure. add your partner server, and then click next button.
7. The parameters in our failover relationship allow us to set the failover mode which can be Active-Active (Load balance) or Active-Passive (Hot standby). In load balancing mode, there is an option to set the weight of the scope distribution at the partner. The default is a 50% split scope.
In this case, we are configuring a Load Balancing server.
You will need a shared secret password configured:
And Then click Next.
8. Click Finish Button.
10. Once you complete the failover scope wizard, the process will complete and the scope will be created on the target server. The process will show the status as successful for each of the steps in the wizard.
10. To Replicate Between this two server, Right Click your Primary server then click on Replicate Failover Scope
click ok button.
11. Right Click on your partner server, click on Replication Scope , when click on Replication Scope it will be Replicate Scope between this two server.
Now Finished All Configuration.